Saturday, January 25, 2014

Engaged and 20



Recently there has been a post circulating Facebook and the internet, when I was home over Christmas break my Mom found it and read a list of 23 things to do instead of getting engaged.

Before you quit reading this post because you're tired of talking about this subject...

Wait. 

What I gathered from reading this post was that after marriage your life becomes a bore. No more adventure, no more late night decisions, and no more excitement, as if getting married was a death sentence.

And I suppose to some it may feel like a death sentence.

And I also suppose because I'm engaged at 20 this may seem like a completely biased response.

I have a different idea though, what if once you get married you start a life long journey with your partner in crime, the other half to your mini gang, your best friend. 

Marriage isn't a death sentence, maybe I'm buying into the "fairytale" of married life, but that's a chance that's worth taking. I've over looked the infamous list of 23 things to do instead of getting engaged and to my surprise this is what I've discovered...    

 ✔ Things I've Done

✔  1. Get a passport.
✔ 2. Find your "thing."
    3. Make out with a stranger. (something I've never craved to do)
✔ 4. Adopt a pet.
✔ 5. Start a band.
✔ 6. Make a cake. Make a second cake. Have your cake and eat it too.
    7. Get a tattoo. It's more permanent than a marriage. (never found one I liked enough)
✔ 8. Explore a new religion.
    9. Start a small business. (unless you count wrapping present for my brothers)
✔ 10. Cut your hair.
     11. Date two people at once and see how long it takes to blow up in your face. (I'll pass)
✔ 12. Build something with your hands.
✔ 13. Accomplish a Pinterest project.
    14. Join the Peace Corps. (never really thought of joining before)
✔ 15. Disappoint your parents.
    16. Watch Girls, over and over again. (don't know what it is, I might like it though)
✔ 17. Eat a jar of Nutella in one sitting.
✔ 18. Make strangers feel uncomfortable in public places.
    19. Sign up for CrossFit. (I signed up for Fitness Pal does that work?)
✔ 20. Hangout naked in front of a window. (I was three, but it counts)
✔ 21. Write your feelings down in a blog.
✔ 22. Be selfish.
     23. Come with me to the Philippines for Chinese New Year. (I just haven't gotten the money?)

 After checking off the items I have completed within my 20 years of life there's only 8 items I have not done. Technically I have 3 more years to finish this list (but what kind of a challenge is that?)
Instead of waiting 3 more years I thought it would be fun to list 8 things I've done that were not listed.

1. Skinned a deer.
2. Jumped onto a moving car.
3. Worked with Convoy of Hope onsite.
4. Visited elderly adults who have Alzheimer's weekly.  
5. Visited 22 US States.
6. Read the Bible three times from cover to cover.
7. Stood on the Continental Divide.
8. Got engaged in Disney World.


 If you want to marry young and God has confirmed in your heart that your significant other is your missing puzzle piece then I see nothing wrong with it. If you're not married and you're 23 + that's OK too! I may only be 20 but I've done a lot within these 20 years, and I have even more to accomplish within the next 20 years, and the only difference will be I get to accomplish those things with my best friend.

In the end though, the way each person lives their life is up to them. Your life cannot be defined by another person's opinion or list.

 -Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. I Loved this! I'm so blessed to have you as my roommate! You're such an amazing woman of God and you make life so fun. You help me to never stop dreaming and pursuing the things that God has for me! I love you Steph!

    ReplyDelete